Thursday, 20 September 2012

An Eerie Moment, End of an Arm & a Secure Trio

Image one for today is called "Mood Steps". I love this shot. I have no idea why but I love this shot. It's got a serious feel and mood to it that I cannot put my finger on. Something or other fell in place and it all came together without me even realising it. The was shot across the River Cuckmere at Cuckmere Haven near Heathfield in East Sussex, England. In the distance you can just make out the beginnings of the mighty Friston Forest. I was going to crop out my shadow in the water (bottom centre) but decided toleave it in as it lined up with the old wooded steps on the opposite bank and seemed to add a sinister edge to the image. Happy accident.



"Float Fishing Only" is image number two. I captured this image at the far end of the Western arm of Brighton Marina. the largest Marina complex in Europe and one of the largest in the world. It covers 127 acres, and extends 1,100 yards along the bottom of the cliffs at Black Rock, to the east of Brighton and over 600 yards into the sea. Way back in 1971 huge reinforced concrete cassions (a retaining, watertight structure used, for example, to work on the foundations of a bridge pier, for the construction of a concrete dam, or for the repair of ships) weighing 600 tonnes each were constructed on site and put into place by an enormous 600 tonne crane. I remember going down there with my parents and seeing these huge concrete drums standing there waiting to be placed in the sea. By 1973 the last of these cassions of the West Breakwater were in place and by 1977 the structure of the Marina was finished and the berths for the boats were being put in. In 1978 HM The Queen opened the Marina.



Last image is "Better Safe Than Sorry". I hope they don't lose their keys! Something tells me that someone is a little paranoid about safety and unwanted guests. I was just surprised to see the slight overkill off locks on this metal door. It wasn't a door to a house or garage. It wasn't a door to a shed or cellar. It was a door to an old 1930's designed beach hut on undercliff walk on the seafront at Saltdean in Sussex, England. I suppose with it being down there and out of the way from prying eyes it's also easy pickings for the criminally minded so security is of a must and highly essential. It made me think and wonder though about how one simple little lock and it's corresponding key changed they way things would be done forever. Wooden locks and keys were in use as early as 4,000 years ago in Egypt. It is also said that the key was invented by Theodore of Samos in the 6th century BC. From that point onward possessions would be more secure, you could leave things in a secure box or room and know pretty much that htey'dstill be there when you got back. Nowadays unfortunately that does not seem to hold true. Cars are stolen within seconds, safes are broken into and many houses and burgled with ease. But that simple little lock and key can still hold them back for a while.



All Photography © Justin Hill