Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Green Fields, Old Boats & A Girls School

"The Air That I Breathe" is a shot that I took back in March 2012. I was on another one of my long walks and was slowly making my way back home when I spotted this idyllic view and scene. There are several horse fields on the edge of the village of Rottingdean on the south coast of England and this was taken looking south across one of them. The light was just catching the top of the trees and highlighting the undulating ground.



Image two is titled "Prow". A large boat that has seen better days has become a home & now spends it's time in very little water in Shoreham on the south coast of England. I wanted to get in as close as I could without zooming in so that I could frame the boat centrally whilst dividing the image in half with the hull of the boat itself. Well...that was the idea anyway. I knew at the time of capturing the image that it was going to be a black and white shot ... the entire scene dictated everything to me, I had nothing to do with it!



"Behind Roedean" is a rare view of the world famous Roedean School taken from the field behind the complex. Roedean was designed by Sir John Simpson, the Victorian architect most famous for designing the original Wembley Stadium and was operational from 1898. During the Second World War it was used by Navy cadets attending the Mining and Torpedo School so Roedean has the extremely rare honour of being one of the few girls' schools in the country with an Old Boys' Association.



All Photography © Justin Hill