Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Tradtional, Devoid of Color, Towards the light & Looking Through History

Before I tell you about this image I want to state very clearly that I did not take this photograph. Unfortunately it's not my work and the full name, address and contact of the studio that did take it is respectfully at the bottom of this post. The Thai woman in this image is 'Bim'. We met in the northern city of  Chiang Mai, Thailand, became partners and then got married a few years ago. 'Bim' is my wife. It was her idea for us to go the this photo studio / parlor for a traditional Lanna style Thai dress session. It was actually quite a laugh and far better than I thought it would be. Anyway, this is a shot that I particularly like from the session that I thought i'd share with you all.

Studio details are :-
Chaiya Photography Studio
104/1 Chaiya Studio
Chiang Mai Night Bazaar
Changklan Road
Chiang Mai 50100
Thailand
Ph: 081 602 3456
chaiyastudio@hotmail.com



"Cabin Fever" is image two for today and it was taken by me (unlike image one). Why are most (if not all) yachts and boats white? Is it a visibility thing when out at sea? If it is to do with visibility then I'm surprised that all boats are not bright orange or dayglo yellow as a white boat on choppy seas that produce white wave crests must be hard to spot. I have been told that they are painted white because white reflects radar better which is the opposite of why most military ships are painted grey because grey does not reflect radar that well. I don't know if that's true or not. Anyway...these white boats were photographed at Brighton's huge and famous marina on the south coast of England. The water was very still and calm.



Image three is "The Right Path". Shot late afternoon / early evening on the south coast of England as I was wandering from Cuckmere Haven back up the hill towards the cliff top car park. It was more an afterthought sort of shot at the time but the image itself caught me out once I'd processed it. I thought it was very striking and powerful.



You get an extra image today because image one was a photograph I did not take. "Choir Vestry Window" is image 4. This is the large window in the choir vestry of St Nicolas Church in Shoreham , Sussex, England. The church itself is an amalgamation of construction work through the ages with Saxon, Norman, 13th Century and 14th Century sections. This window however is n a section of the church that's 'modern'.  The windows catalogued as NChE NC1 but I am having difficulty in finding out when it was made or put in. As far as I can tell its age is between  1851 & 1882.



All Photography © Justin Hill