Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Oriental Greenery, a Very British Pier & Wilderness

"ต้นไม้ต่าง ๆ" is the interesting title for my first image of the day. Not so far from my father in laws field high up in the mountains of Omkoi stands a large copse of trees. My 11 year old step daughter wanted to take me there to show me a tree that had many bees nesting on it so we jumped on the motorbike and shot on over there. As I was traipsing through and following her to the spot I noticed this tree and the beautiful backdrop of sunlit trees behind it. "Kaem" my step daughter was curious to see what I was up to and was trying desperately hard to look into the back of the camera whilst standing on tip toes. I showed her the resulting shot and got a thumbs up of approval! The title "ต้นไม้ต่าง ๆ" is Thai for "Various Trees".



Image two is titled "Fish Chips". Not actually my town but a town a few miles east of Brighton. This is Eastbourne Pier on the south coast of England. It was opened 13 June 1870 by Lord Edward Cavendish and was fully completed two years later. The pier is built on stilts that rest in cups on the sea-bed allowing the whole structure to move during rough weather. The pier is 300 metres (1000 ft) long. A 1000-seater theatre, bar, camera obscura and office suite built in 1899/1901 replaced the domed 400-seater pavilion that was constructed in 1888. The camera obscura fell into disuse in the 1960s but was restored in 2003 with a new stairway built to provide access. I cannot think of any British seaside resort where a "Fish & Chip" meal is not readily available.



Last image from me today is "Supergrass". This grass is growing wild and long high up on the cliff tops of Peacehaven overlooking the English Channel. It was quite hard to remain upright whilst taking shots as the grass was long and very deep in places. I lost my footing on several occasions which got my heart rate thumping every now and again due to being reasonably close to the edge!



All Photography © Justin Hill