Sunday, 16 December 2012

Epic Interior, Dark Flight & an Unearthly Beach

"Inner Space" :- When I visited St Bartholomew's church in Brighton (England) I got talking to one of the volunteers that was there to keep an eye on the church (while it was open to the public) and to offer information to the visitors if required. We talked about the church itself and its interior for a while and I found out quite by accident that he also knew some of the temples in Chiang Mai, Thailand (my other home). Eventually I asked him if it would be alright to take some photographs and he said that I could. I'd been shooting a few for about 10 minutes when he came up to me and asked if i'd like to take some from the balcony. Well, I didn't need asking twice...of course I'd love to. The balcony is not open to the public so he unlocked a side door and gave me access. This is one of the shots that I took from the balcony (where the church organ is housed). It shows the immense size and scale of the church. Construction began in 1868 as a small mission church to serve the railway workers. It was designed by Edmund Scott and is (supposedly) the tallest parish church in Britain (at 135ft or 41 meters) and possibly Europe. The church is a Grade I listed building.



"Iron Shadow" :- Once again I managed to command a few strange looks as passers by stared with quizzical expressions whilst wondering what on earth I was doing photographing nothing. Well, it may have been nothing to them but it was something to me. I loved the iron fire escape but best of all I loved the shadow it was casting. This is a set of iron steps on the outside of a restaurant within Brighton Marina on the south coast of England.



"Bronzed" :- Brighton beach during an amazing sunset with the sea in a surreal state of calmness. No waves at all, just a gentle lapping on the shore. I was trying to get the sun to clip the shot on the far right with the hope that it would effect the image and create some kind of unearthly light. It wasn't until I got back and processed the image that I realised it had worked better than I thought it would.



All Photography © Justin Hill