Monday, 6 May 2013

Thai Water, Contrasts and Concrete Thinking

"Omkoi Reservoir" :- I adored this place. It was just a 15 minute walk from the house and so very peaceful. It was full of wildlife too with lizards, butterflies, spiders, buffalo and dragonflies all over the place plus the water itself was teaming with fish. This image was captured back in February 2006 during a very warm Thai afternoon.



"Down on the Farm" :- This is a shot of the farm in the village of Ovingdean on the south coast of England. The sun was high in the sky and I liked the way the shadows on the silo's in the distance were falling and that the building at the back was in silhouette. It was one of those shots that I could see in my mind as a black and white image as I was taking it. I love all the angles and shapes as well as the space in the foreground.



"Level Three" :- I seem to have the ability of looking at things differently, seeing something there when others would simply walk past or ignore their surroundings. I had parked the car in the car park and was on my way out to walk around Brighton Marina when I stopped and took this image. The bright sunlight from outside was in stark contrast with the electric light and moodiness of the car park itself as the harsh concrete floor was glowing slightly from the overhead neon tubes. It made me think how on earth mankind had got to this stage and found myself then wondering if mankind was happy with its achievements and advances. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should. Hard surfaces and not a natural or beautiful thing in sight. We took the glory of the planet by the hand and knocked hell out of it making sure we stamped our name and claim on everything by flattening it or simply removing it. Even the car park itself is built on reclaimed land ... it used to be sea, rocks and pools where the marina now stands. The car was parked on Level 3 , I have no idea what level the human race is now on.



All Photography © Justin Hill