Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Smiling Tribe Girl, Black Lion St to Ship St and Looking Out

"Smiling Tribe Girl" :- This was another of those moments that you cannot plan for but jump at when the moment arises. I was standing in Thapae Road watching the Annual Flower Festival Parade go by in Chiang Mai, Northern Thailand. Many different marching bands, tribes and floats had drifted through, stopping along the way with the usual hold ups and pauses etc. Then I saw this group of Hill Tribe women walking towards me. They all looked in their later years at first but then I spotted one younger girl in amongst them and ran out to grab the shot. Much to me delight she spotted me and gave me this enormous smile and this was the result. What really makes this image work for me is that none of the others walking with her are looking in my direction at all and seem to be oblivious to my presence.



"Black Lion St to Ship St" :- Here's capture of one of Brighton's old Victorian alleyways. It's just about shoulder width and connects (as the title suggests) Black Lion St to Ship St. The entrance to "Black Lion Lane" is between the Black Lion public house (it's history dates back to the 16th century) and The Cricketers public house (with a 17th century history and is also mentioned in Graham Greene's famous novel "Brighton Rock"). During his escape to France Charles II is said to have been carried down this very lane on the back of a fisherman. Further down the lane on the "southern side" (left side of the image) there are three listed cottages that date from 1563 are are supposedly the oldest buildings in the city.



"Looking Out" :- This image is "hot off the press" as it was only processed this morning and captured a day or so ago on Monday 5th August 2013. I had very nearly left my camera at home as the weather was grey, wet and miserable but changed my mind on a whim and took it with me anyway. I was actually heading for a different town but had been tipped off by Peter Harland to check out the Church of St John the Baptist in the hamlet of Clayton in Sussex, England. Naturally I had to go and investigate and was overjoyed by what I saw there. The church is 11th-century and much of its structural work has had little alteration since then. The simple Saxon built church is distinguished by its stunning and extensive set of wall paintings that date from the early 12th century and have been described as "some of the most important in the country". They took my breath away and I captured many shots of the walls and artwork which I shall post at a later date. The church is a Grade I listed building for its architectural and historical importance. This little window was set into a South facing wall by a small staircase that ascends the bell tower. I loved the silhouetted lead lines in stark contrast to the lush and rural land outside.



Photography Copyright © Justin Hill