Sunday, 9 February 2014

A Little Piece of Heaven, Room With a View and Canon Lane

"A Little Piece of Heaven" :- A stormy sky helps create a majestic scene that almost looks as if it was created by Terry Gilliam! I shot this a few weeks ago on Brighton beach near the Marina. I was hoping at the time that the clouds would break and that i'd get some dramatic sunset images but this was about as good as it got. Having said that I am overjoyed with this moody image.



"Room With a View" :- These have got to be some of the most photographed and famous cottages in the UK. They are the coastguard cottages at Cuckmere Haven near Seaford on the south coast of England. To be honest I wasn't going to post this image at all, I have had it on file for ages but overlooked it each and every time because it's a clichéd shot. Thousands upon thousand stand at this spot and take the same shot. There's nothing original about it that makes it stand out or appear different from any other shot I have seen of the area. So why am I posting it today? I am posting it today because right now Britain is being whipped by a series of deadly storms and livelihoods, homes, lifestyles and our coastlines are currently being threatened on a daily basis. Part of our ruined West Pier was lost to the sea last week and there have been serious cliff falls and erosion at Seaford Head and Birling Gap. Cuckmere Haven sits smack in the middle between Seaford Head and Birling Gap, it's a natural estuary that's very flat with cliffs that rise up on either side. I have not heard much news about storm damage here but am sure the area has suffered greatly. I am worried for the cottages that are right on the edge and for the people that live in them. So I am posting this image for everyone out there who is being battered by the wind and rain, by the waves and stormy skies. I am posting this image for our beautiful coastlines, our white cliffs and our scenery. I am posting this for the wildlife that lives in the oceans and on our land. I am posting this out of respect for how long it's stood there and for what has fallen recently around the UK. Stay safe folks.



"Canon Lane" :- This is a shot looking through the 16th Century Canon Gate into Canon Lane in the city of Chichester in West Sussex, England. The Gate was restored in the 1800's after falling into disrepair through previous centuries. You can read more about Canon Gate and the Bell Tower here :- Canon Gate and the Bell Tower. Canon Lane leads up around the back of the Southern side of Chichester Cathedral.



Photography Copyright © Justin Hill