Thursday, 6 February 2014

Waiting for Someone, Mill from the Edge and Terrace Space

"Waiting for Someone" :- The quiet before the storm. An image of the undercliff walk near the village of Rottingdean on the coast of Sussex, England. It was shot during April last year (2013) as the sun was cleverly fooling us into thinking the rest of the year was going to be warmer and drier. This is the widest section of the 1930's built walkway at the foot of the cliffs . I set up and composed the image and then played the waiting game as I patiently looked for a big enough gap between dog walkers, cyclists and people out for a stroll.



"Mill from the Edge" :- A shot of Beacon Mill (also known as the Rottingdean Windmill) from a different point of view. I was standing on the edge of cliff top with the sea way down low behind me in order to get this image. It was also another exercise in patience and timing because the main A259 coast road (Marine Drive) was between me and the windmill. You can't see it as the grassy ridge in the foreground hides it but I assure you it's there...and it's very busy. Busses, Lorries, Motorbikes and cars thunder up and down this stretch of road day and night and I was trying to spot a big enough gap between the flow of traffic each way in order to get the image I wanted. Once again my ability to not rush things and take one's time prevailed and I got the shot. I have no idea why I try to avoid people and vehicles in my shots and images but I am pleased that I do. It makes my images slightly different from the shots of Brighton and the surrounding area that I usually see. Beacon Mill, was built in 1802 and she is a grade II listed smock mill and is located on the coast in the village of Rottingdean, Sussex, England. You can have a good look at her here as she stars in this Fat Boy Slim video :- That Old Pair of Jeans



"Terrace Space" :- The Victorians really knew what they were doing! Things were designed to not only be practical but to look grand and beautiful. This is the terrace on Brighton seafront (directly opposite New Steine Gardens). You can almost see the crinoline dresses and top hats sported by those that used to parade up and down this very spot. This section is also the spot that Brighton's very first pier was secured to. The Royal Suspension Chain Pier was built in 1823 and the huge chains that supported it came up to this spot and fixed into the wall by the arches you can see on the left of this image. According to Royal Pavilion & Brighton Museums "Eight wrought iron chains were fixed fifty feet into the cliff and then were strung through the top of each tower. The links of the chains were ten feet long. At the other end they were sunk into solid rock on the sea floor." This section of the terrace was recently named "Max Miller Walk" after the Brighton 30's and 40's comedian Max Miller (known as 'The Cheeky Chappie'). It's often been said that Max Miller was probably the greatest stand-up comedian of his generation. Footage of Max Miller on stage can be seen here :- The Cheeky Chappie on Stage



Photography Copyright © Justin Hill