Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Chalk Run, The Waterside and Brighton Music Hall

"Chalk Run" :- On Monday this week (24th March 2014) I embarked on a long but very wonderful countryside walk. I decided to walk from the village of Ovingdean (where I live on the outskirts of Brighton) to the reasonably nearby historical town of Lewes. It's a journey that usually takes 15 to 20 minutes by car but when walking takes (approx) 90 minutes. The first part of the journey is walking up over the bridleway from Ovingdean to Woodingdean and doesn't take too long. The second stage is longer and a tad more strenuous as it involves walking from Woodingdean to the village of Kingston which is via various bridleways and fields. Just before you get to the village you have to negotiate a very steep and winding chalk path that works it way down the hillside and into the village. It was near the top of the chalk path that I took this image and you can just see part of Kingston village at the bottom. The view from the top is simply stunning as you look out over Kingston and Lewes and a major part of the Sussex countryside. Once you are at the bottom there's a short road (Kingston Ridge) before crossing the main road (Ashcombe Lane) and on towards Ashcombe Windmill. A large field then offers up more wonderful views and once you have crossed that there's another short tree lined lane that then opens up into Juggs Road which eventually leads you into Southover High Street and the historical Anne of Cleves House in Lewes. I think I spent about 45 minutes in Lewes before deciding to turn around and walk all the way back again before the light failed. It was a mad thing to do but I'm pleased I did it and even more pleased that I took my camera along for the journey!



"The Waterside" :- This was shot a couple of years ago during a wonderful July heatwave that was roasting the south of England. I'd been out on a drive about and found myself parked up and wandering about Shoreham Harbour on the south coast. This image was taken on the small stretch of pebbled beach near the old lighthouse and new lifeboat house.



"Brighton Music Hall" :- A wet and cold lower promenade on Brighton seafront provided me with this photo opportunity. I was the only one mad enough to be out and about (as usual) and just happened to walk past this beach bar as it was closing for the day. Just the interior bar lights were on and as luck would have it the main central shutters had not been brought down so the light was spilling out in a wet glow over the promenade.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill