Thursday, 27 March 2014

Safe, Hove Lagoon and Historical Ditchling

"Safe" :- I pass this section of wall many times as it's located two thirds of the way up the steps that connect the cliff top to the beach at Ovingdean Gap on the south coast of England. It always amuses and unnerves me that the old 1930's safety rail is fixed into a section of wall that doesn't look so secure itself. The entire undercliff walk and stair at Ovingdean Gap were built during the 1930's so they are bound to be in need of some attention. Like most things of a historical nature in Brighton they are overlooked and ignored until it's too late to save them or do anything about them.



"Hove Lagoon" :- This was yet another one of my long walks. I'd driven into town and parked the car at Brighton Marina (free parking which is far better than the over-inflated extortionate prices they charge you to park in the center) and had walked along the promenade and seafront. For some reason I kept on walking ... and walking ... and walking. Before I knew it was once again at the far end of Hove Lawns but instead of turning around to head off back again elected to keep on going until I got to Hove Lagoon which is (approx) 7.24 km or 4.5 miles. When I eventually got there the sky clouded over and the temperature dropped enough to put a chill in the air and at that point I grabbed this image looking across the lagoon towards the beach promenade and the Hove Deep Sea Anglers Club. Of course the one thing about walking all the way out there is the realisation that you then have to walk the 7.24 km or 4.5 miles back to get to the car ... which I happily did. Not bad for an old bloke!



"Historical Ditchling" :- I wish I could tell you all about these two wonderful and very old building that are in the high street in the village of Ditchling in Sussex, England. Unfortunately I know very little about them and have trawled the internet trying to locate information about them but have come up with next to nothing. All I have found out is that the cream coloured building on the right (currently a florists called Amaryllis) is Grade II listed and dates from the 16th Century. I am therefore guessing (possibly wrongly) that the building on the left (currently an estate agents called Marchants) in theory should date from around the same period. The history of Ditchling village itself dates back to Saxon times and it's first recorded in 765 as Dicelinga in a grant by King Alduuf of land bordering that of Ditchling.



Photography Copyright © Justin Hill