Monday, 24 March 2014

Surfaced, Coastal Fog and Natural Barrier

"Surfaced" :- Ok , I own up. This hadn't surfaced at all. In fact it hadn't moved an inch as it was the water of the English Channel that had receded at low tide exposing this large Victorian breakwater / groyne. It was as I was framing the shot in the camera that it struck me how much like the bow of a surfacing submarine it looked. Admittedly it's made out of stone and not metal but it does have that look about it. It's actually the "Medina Groyne" or "Hove Walkway" which is located at the far end of the Hove lawns and promenade. It was built at some point in the late 1800's although I am unsure of the exact year although the flint seawall in Hove was built in sections and the Medina Lawns to Hove St. section was built in 1895 so I presume (right or wrongly) that it was (approximately) constructed at the same time.



"Coastal Fog" :- I like walking around Brighton when there's a thick mist or sea fog rolling in. Everything sounds different, all noise is deadened as the fog somehow stops it reflecting and bouncing off surfaces. It eats it up before it can generate an echo. There's a surreal, unearthly feel to it all and I love it. The strangest thing is when you know exactly where you are but you still cannot see the things that you know should be visible at that point. A few weeks ago I was walking along the beach during a foggy afternoon and I knew that I should be able to see the pier and Brighton wheel from where I was but there was just a blanket of grey there. It took quite a while walking along the beach before the fog lifted slightly and they came into view. It was at that point that I grabbed this image. And before anyone out there points it out, yes it is a grainy image but this is how I chose to process it. Live with it.



"Natural Barrier" :- Simple, effective, intriguing, surreal and slightly ... every so slightly mind bending. This was shot on Saltdean beach during low tide. The exposed and weathered chalk bed was acting as a tidal barrier which meant the trapped salt water near the shore was like a sheet of polished glass. Not a ripple could be seen even though the waves were coming in right behind. This meant that the chalk bed poking up through the water was being perfectly mirrored causing an odd floating in space illusion. I sat for a while squinting at it and for a few seconds convinced my brain that it was some sort of asteroid belt before snapping out of it, taking the shot and moving on. I am such a child when I am out with the camera!



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill