Sunday, 6 April 2014

Weight and Sea, Prize Every Time and Out the Back

"Weight and Sea" :- Sunlight gets trapped and bounces between sea and heavy clouds during sunset on the south coast of England. This is the beach at Ovingdean Gap which is part of an ancient village (it's mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086) called Ovingdean which is a few kilometers (6.8) or miles (4.22) away from the city of Brighton. You'll often find me down here on my own with the camera, taking in the sea air and reveling in the peace and quiet of it all.



"Prize Every Time" :- Not the greatest subject matter but I liked the lighting and mood of it all so took a shot of it. It's the sort of thing that many would walk past and not even notice or take a second look at. The colour in the original is very bright with reds, blues, greens and yellows jumping out from all directions and the down lighting of the spotlight is a vibrant neon blue. I very nearly processed the image in full colour but then decided to try a monochrome version and liked the result so that's what I went with in the end. The black and white version is better as it focuses your attention to the center of the image whereas the colour version was too busy.



"Out the Back" :- This is the back door and entrance to St Paul's Church in Brighton in Sussex, England. The main entrance is in West Street but this back door is in Russell Place. The church was built by Father Henry Michell Wagner and opened on October 18th, 1848 in the poor Fishery area behind West Street. I took this shot as I was waiting for them to open up and let me in (I arrived a little early) as they wanted me to photograph the famous Augustus Pugin stained glass windows for their brochure.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill