Thursday, 8 May 2014

Pink Pier, Hide Away and Ascent

"Pink Pier" :- 8 pm on Brighton seafront and the sun was going down on a beautiful April evening. The fading light gave the sea an odd bioluminescence glow and the sun was turning the famous Victorian Pier a shade of pink. The things that strikes me as odd on evenings like this is that the beaches remain very empty. Hardly anyone seems to sit on the beach and watch the sunset anymore. They are all too busy staring deeply into their smart phones telling each other what they've just eaten "lol" to notice mother nature's free display.



"Hide Away" :- Shot within the deep, dark recesses of Stanmer Park on the outskirts of Brighton, England. It's a place I like to wander, explore and "get lost" with the camera. I'd taken one of the paths that rise up and go around the side and back of the park when I was this tree with its branches splyed out silhouetted against the morning light. It had a mystical look and feel about it and made me think of some of the old Brothers Grimm stories.



"Ascent" :- I was always under the impression that these curved steps on Rottingdean beach were built in the 1930's around the same time as the undercliff walk but they are in fact much older than that and they've not changed at all. I wish I knew the year when they were first constructed but all I can find out is that they existed from some time in the late 1800's. There's a wonderful old photograph showing Rudyard Kipling chatting to his Aunt Georgie (Georgiana Burne-Jones, wife of Sir Edward Burne-Jones the famous Pre-Raphaelite painter) sitting near the bottom of these very steps. You can see the old sepia image here :- Rottingdean Through Time



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill