Sunday, 11 May 2014

Sacrilege, Shadow Long and Levels

"Sacrilege" :- Unfortunately nothing appears to be sacred anymore. We are now living in a day and age where history, buildings, rights, opinions and humankind itself seems fair game and up for grabs. Trolls scour the internet slinging typed abuse at anything that sticks its head up over the parapet, countries still abuse their own living within their borders and many times try to hurt those living outside them too. The strange thing is there are probably now more rules and regulations in place to protect people than ever but that in turn seems to then makepeople think they can say and do what they want and in effect "get away with it" as they are now protected. It's an odd world and I will never understand it or those living on it. Anyway, I digress. This is a side door (shot at night...obviously) to the mighty St Bartholomews Church in the heart of Brighton. The church is famous for it's size and height (at 135ft or 41 meters) and was built in 1874. This door is exits into Providence Place which is a road / street that is well known for Graffiti and large street artworks. Needless to say the church is seen at times to be a large canvass proving once again that nothing is sacred.



"Shadow Long" :- When everyone is looking in one direction it sometimes pays to turn around and look the other way, you never know what you could be missing. During the sunset on Brighton beach (Sussex, England) you will invariably dscover a handful of photographers clustered around the ruins of the old West Pier. She seems to act as a siren and pulls us all towards her each and every time, luring us in. This means that everyone with a camera is facing South, West or South West. All images taken will therefore be skeletal pier, sea, sunset or a combination of all three. Typically I went in search for something a little different. I realised that the huge iron posts that uses to support the pier were casting large, long, dark shadows on the beach. I'd photographed them before in silhouette from different angles but had never simply caught their shadows. At first I thought it was going to prove a problem as wherever I stood my own shadow hurtled off into the distance and got it the shot. It then dawned on me that the solution was staring me in the face, I stepped into the shadow of the post that I trying to shoot, lined myself up with my back to the post, aimed the camera East (back towards the other pier) and grabbed the shot. Problem solved, resulting in an image somewhat different form the norm.



"Levels" :- Grey & blue. Hard & soft. Lines & levels. I pride myself that I have the ability to see things that many others simply ignore, overlook and walk by. I've never been blinkered. Always had an inquisitive mind. This is a section of the undercliff walk near Saltdean on the south coast of England. It was one of those rare occasions where I pretty much had the place to myself. It was bliss.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill