Thursday, 12 June 2014

Promenade View, Looe Stairs and 13thC Farmsteads

"Promenade View" :- Here's a view that I get see often. Many's a time I walk in to Brighton from Ovingdean. It's a 6.8 km (4.22 miles) walk which takes in sea views, chalk cliffs, concrete monstrosities, Georgian & Regency architecture and Victorian promenades. There are many joggers, dog walkers, skateboarders, roller skaters and bicycles to try and avoid on route as I saunter along, stopping occasionally to take the odd shot. This mage was taken on 2oth April 2013 (approx) 18:00 pm on the Kemptown end of the main upper promenade. You can just make out the shape of the pier in the dancing sunlight.



"Looe Stairs" :- No...not the stairs leading up to the toilet. These are a set of old steps in the Cornish fishing village of Looe. They run between a couple of buildings in a tight gap that connects Fore Street to the higher Shutta Road. I wish I knew more about them but there seems to be little information or history that I can find. I am guessing that they are at least two to three hundred years old if not more.



"13th Century Farmsteads" :- When you think of Dartmoor images of bleak hills, huge rock formations and standing stones spring to mind. Quite often those thoughts are also wind swept and drenched in rain. So imagine my surprise when I not only found myself standing on the moors in bright sunshine but also found myself standing in the middle of the ruins of some 13th Century Farmsteads! I had no idea that Dartmood held secrets like that and I wouldn't have found out either if it wasn't for my good friend Philip Reeve (top bloke & author philipreeve.blogspot.co.uk ) taking me there on an evening walk. It's very odd to find yourself standing in among the walls as you can't help but speculate about who once lived there and what the times must have been like. Where did they come from? Where did they go to? How long did they live up on the moor? On looking up information about the place there does seem to be conflicting views about the remains. Some say that there are four 13th century farmsteads situated there and a few say there were up to eight but the general consensus seems to settle on four. The land was originally farmed in the Bronze Age (a period that lasted roughly three thousand years starting somewhere around 2500 BC in Britain). They think that this particular hamlet was eventually abandoned in the early 15th Century due to climate change. The settlement is actually mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and is said to have belonged to Tavistock Abbey (in Tavistock, Devon). When archaelologists looked at the area a single coin from the time of Henry III (1 October 1207 – 16 November 1272) was unearthed.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill