Friday, 18 July 2014

Rocks at Sunset, Windswept Hill and Red Lion

"Rocks at Sunset" :- The heavy, threatening sky made a superb backdrop for this beach scene. Tme and place were a major factor for this image and I had planned neither. It was all accidental. I'd driven from Dartmoor to the small Cornish fishing town of Looe. Managed to find a guest house (with parking) for the night and had wandered into town for a look around. An hour or so later I returned to the guest house where I promptly dozed off for an hour or so. Waking to the squawkng and calls of the gulls outside my window I peered out and noticed the tidal river was low and that the sun was on its way down. I washed my face, grabbed the camera and headed back into town again. When I got to the beach this was the scene that met me. The rocks were exposed and half in shade and sunlight, the sand was glistening and a storm was on its way in. Everything fell into place on the one and only evening that I stayed.



"Windswept Hill" :- There she is! One of the most famous land & seamarks on the south coast of England. Beacon Mill (also known as the Rottingdean Windmill) was built in 1802 and has stood overlooking the sea and coast for 212 years. She's seen a lot of changes as the villages, roads and scenery that surrouns her developed over time. She stands on the edge of Beacon Hill Nature Reserve at Rottingdean village (to the east of Brighton in Sussex, England) and is a Grade II listed smock mill. She worked up until 1881 and was very nearly demolished around 1890 due to her derelict condition. She has been restored several times over since then and now has an steel frame within that aids her support. I see her many times on a weekly basis as I live in the neighbouring village and she's just a 20 minute walk from my front door.



"Red Lion" :- The Red Lion is an inn, boozer, tavern, public house & hostelry. But this is no ordinary, run of the mill watering hole. This is the pub in Avebury Village which means this is the only pub in the world that's within an ancient stone circle. Not just any stone circle either but the largest stone circle found in Europe (and quite possibly on the planet). The pub was first licensed in 1802 and has a very deep (86ft ) well inside it which dates back to the 1600's. The ghost of "Florrie" (a former landlady from the 17th Century) has been seen on various occasions in the pub. She was killed by her husband and her body was thrown down the well. To be honest even if you ignore the ghost stories and the standing stones that surround it the pub is well worth a visit. Having said that the stones and stories do add to the magic & mystery of the place. I love it.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill