Tuesday, 19 August 2014

Greensleeves, Three Little Boats and Clear

"Greensleeves" :- This has got to be one of the most enchanting places I have ever had the pleasure to visit. It may sound strange but I already had a rough idea of just how magical the place was before i ever set foot in it. The reason I say that is because this is "Wistman's Wood" deep in the heart of Dartmoor and for years I knew of it from the illustrations and drawings that i'd seen in books by the illustrators Alan Lee (famous for designing the look of Peter Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings') and Brian Froud (famous for designing 'The Dark Crystal' & 'Labyrinth'). For years I'd wanted to see the place for myself and then suddenly this year I got the chance and found myself standing in the middle of it all in a state of wonder. The best thing is I was not alone as my guides were Philip Reeve (author of Mortal Engines, Here Lies Arthur, Goblins, Oliver & the Seawigs etc) and his wife Sarah who I've both know for a very long time.



"Three Little Boats" :- Shoreham by Sea sits on the Sussex coast and has a large harbour. The southern part of Shoreham (over the bridge) is on an arm the extrends towards the East with the River Adur on one side and the English Channel on the other. On the norther side of the arm there's a footpath by the river and many houseboats of different shapes and sizes. It's amazing to see the variety of old boats (old fishing vessels, barges and even a mindsweeper) that have been turned into homes. This image was taken from the footpath and is of some old rowing boats that lay discarded between two of the larger houseboats.



"Clear " :- Low tide, blue sky and sun help create a calming image that's made up of brown & blue colour bands. No people, no boats, no gulls. Just rocks and lots of water. The stretch of beach between Ovingdean Gap and Brighton marina is one of my favourite places to be. It's an area that's relatively tourist free (they all gather in their masses on the beach by the Brighton Pier within a few yards of a fish & chip cafe or an ice cream stall) and I often find myself on the beach without anyone else being around. I find photography can be a solitary business and to be honest I wouldn't want it any other way as I find the best shots and images are created when I'm on my own, free from interuptions and loving every minute of it.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill