Friday, 22 August 2014

Sun on the Lake, Dark Arts and Red Row

"Sun on the Lake" :- This was the view as I stood on the Western bank of Lake Siutghiol with the sun setting behind me. The lake is actually a lagoon in Northern Dobruja, Romania and it stretches for over 20 km². The lake is also known as “Mamaia Lake” as its sits by Romania's most popular coastal resort of Mamaia which is a district of the city of ConstanČ›a (founded around 600 BC and is the oldest still-populated city in Romania). Mamaia lies on a strip of land 8 km (5.0 mi) in length and only 300 m (328 yards) in width, between the Black Sea and Lake Siutghiol."Sun on the Lake" :- This was the view as I stood on the Western bank of Lake Siutghiol with the sun setting behind me. The lake is actually a lagoon in Northern Dobruja, Romania and it stretches for over 20 km². The lake is also known as “Mamaia Lake” as its sits by Romania's most popular coastal resort of Mamaia which is a district of the city of ConstanČ›a (founded around 600 BC and is the oldest still-populated city in Romania). Mamaia lies on a strip of land 8 km (5.0 mi) in length and only 300 m (328 yards) in width, between the Black Sea and Lake Siutghiol.



"Dark Arts" :- An image that's about as 'hot off the press' as you'll ever get from me. This was shot a couple of days ago on Wednesday 20th August 2014 at 16:40 pm. The cloud base was very low and very heavy. It had already 'chucked it down' for half an hour so the beaches were emtpy and devoid of life. Even the gulls had called it a day and taken shelter. The pressure from the storm was big enough to give me a headache so this was the last shot I took before heading off home. I stopped to photograph this beach art / sculpture because the light seemed to be naturally split with the uprights being on a dark and light side. It wasn't until I processed it yeatserday that I realised the image had a 3D quality about it which I have to admit was a happy accident. The sculpture is titled "Passacaglia", it's constructed from recycled cast iron and the artist's name is Charles Hadcock. The shot is a little deceiving as the sculpture itself weighs 20 tonnes and is five meters high! For more information on Charles Hadcock go to www.charleshadcock.co.uk



"Red Row" :- Nature provided all I needed to create the image. Rolling curves of land, lush green hues and vibrant red poppies all backed by a wonderful blue sky. There's not much else to add really other than I had already walked for an hour or so and was finally on my way back when I came across the wild poppies growing down the side of a field. The image was shot in Castle Hill Nature Reserve which just to the East of Woodingdean, an eastern suburb of the city of Brighton and Hove in Sussex, England.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill