Thursday, 18 September 2014

Fun While It Lasts, Solitree and A Place in the Sun

"Fun While It Lasts" :- If you manage to catch certain scenes at the right time of day they look very surreal and almost too good to be true. This was my view as I walked back towards Brighton along the exposed sand on Hove beach last week (12th September 2014). The sun had dropped low behind me as was busy putting on a display of its own which caused the sky in the East to take on an ethereal light blue neon glow which was reflected in the wet sand. It's a shame the pebbled beach and skyline of Brighton were visible as I'd love to have seen what it would look like with that colour over everything but if I'd photographed that you'd have never believed me or the shot. The beach and white buildings of Brighton prove the reality of the situation and also go to show that very little with done to the image regarding colour.



"Solitree" :- I'd walked for ages. well, it felt like I had anyway. I'd wound around bends and wandered up and down various dips and rises. I saw just a couple of people as I set off near the start of the path and then bobody at all as I walked on my own through the Castle Hill Nature Reserve within the South Downs in Sussex, England. The reserve is well hidden from view and is tucked away just at the back of Woodingdean village which lies to the eastern end of Brighton. It's one of the rare reserves that's been awarded the honour of a being a Special Area of Conservation and has been designated a Biogenetic Reserve by the Council of Europe. When I spotted this tree I stood for a while looking at it in a sort of odd human vs nature face off. It looked like I felt at the time as I plodded on without company. All alone in a field of it's own.



"A Place in the Sun" :- This is the Chattri, a war memorial that sits just to the North of Patcham in the city of Brighton. It's position is (approx) 500 feet (150 m) up on the South Downs and overlooks the city towards the sea. It's a memorial to the Indian soldiers who fought for the British Empire during the First World War and it was constructed on the site where a number of those soldiers were cremated. The main body of the memorial is built from white marble from Sicily which sits on a plinth of grey stone which stands over three blocks of granite which cover the slabs used during the cremations.There is a plinth with an inscription in in English, Hindi, Punjabi and Urdu which reads "To the memory of all Indian soldiers who gave their lives for the King-Emperor in the Great War, this monument, erected on the site of the funeral pyre where Hindus and Sikhs who died in hospital at Brighton passed through the fire, is in grateful admiration and brotherly love dedicated". The only access to the memorial is from a path off a bridleway near the A27 and it takes quite a long walk to get there. I'm pleased I made the effort to pay my respects.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill