Friday, 21 November 2014

Dark Land, Lewes Graveyard and Penny for Your Thoughts

"Dark Land" :- Move along...there's nothing to see here! But there is if you open your eyes and take in the big picture. As I was taking this someone walking their dog passed behind me and I happened to glance around just in time to see a look of bewilderment on their face as they tried to work out what it was I was photographing. I love that. The shot was taken on the Beacon Hill Nature Reserve that sits between the villages of Rottingdean & Ovingdean to the east of Brighton in Sussex, England.



"Lewes Graveyard" :- This is the churchyard of St John sub Castro Church in the town of Lewes in Sussex. The church itself is grade II listed and dates from 1839 but was built on the site of an 11th-century Saxon church that once stood there. The churchyard undulates, winds and covers a large area. I took this shot because I liked the light coming through the trees and bouncing of the stonework and fern covered grass. The churchyard is also home to a Grade II listed memorial that's for the Finnish prisoners from the Crimean War who died while confined in Lewes Naval Prison.



"Penny for Your Thoughts" :- I'll actually let this image speak for itself as I think it has a lot to say without me having to bang on pontificating about something or other. What I will tell you is that it was taken this year in early September just as it was approaching 7pm on Kemptown seafront in Brighton, England.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill