Wednesday, 26 November 2014

Rust Line, Spritsail Barge and Balcombe Stile

"Rust Line" :- There's an old building down on the seafront / undercliff promenade at Ovingdean Gap. It's square edged and fairly basic but has an odd undulating, curved & wavy roof as well as several "porthole" windows in its side. All the structures at Ovingdean Gap are the products of the 1930's. For some reason the 30's seemed to be obsessed with nautical themes. A lot of the buildings were designed to look like boats or ships or had nautical elements incorporated into them. The porthole window is a theme that crops up quite a bit from Saltdean all the way down to Black Rock on the edge of Brighton. Saltdean's famous Lido swimming pool has porthole windows here and there as does the library which is incorporated into the same building. The huge and very opulent "Grand Ocean Hotel" in Saltdean also has a few round windows set into its frontage and the apartments known as "Marine Gate" that overlook the Brighton Marina alos have rows of porthole windows running top to bottom on either side. The block at Ovingdean Gap is a Cafe at one end and a public convenience (toilet) at the other end. The window in this image is at the Cafe end.



"Spritsail Barge" :- I found myself carefully squelching away to get this shot. I was right on the edge of solid sand and being up to my neck in it. This is a shot of the 'Spritsail Barge' that's a used as a passenger ferry at Gravesend in Kent. This type of boat was commonly used as a Thames sailing barge which was a commercial sailing boat common on the River Thames in London in the 19th century. According to Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_sailing_barge ) "The flat-bottomed hull made these craft extremely versatile and economical. They could float in as little as 3 feet (1 m) of water and could dry out in the tidal waters without heeling over."



"Balcombe Stile" :- I like exploring. I enjoy a good snoop. I think it comes from being frightened of missing something. So when I set out with the camera to photograph something specific I very rarely get the shots I want and then go home without having a good look around first. This shot came about by me wanting to photograph the mighty Ouse Valley Viaduct that sits between Haywards Heath and the village of Balcombe in Sussex. After getting the shots of the 1841 built viaduct I noticed a worn and muddy path that went up between a few trees and bushes so I thought I'd follow it to see where it lead. It was muddy and fairly steep but as I neared the top this was the view that met me.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill