Tuesday, 25 November 2014

Sun in the Tree, Better World and Dark Sunset

"Sun in the Tree" :- I found myself just at the right place at the right time to make this shot work. I was standing at the back of the old Watermill that's in the grounds of Michelham Priory in Hailsham, East Sussex, England. We got there just as the former Augustine Priory was closing for the day but the wheel house was still open and it was a nice (late) afternoon for a stroll around. Michelham Priory is set on a medieval moated island (England’s longest water filled moat) and is a T-shaped building that comprises of sections from the 13th century and 16th century. It is owned by the Sussex Archaeological Society and is a Grade I listed building.



"Better World" :- Not a single blade of grass or tree in sight. No greenery, no mother nature. Of course without any of those things you neatly manage to arradicate all signs of wildlife too thus ensuring the world that you've created is neat, tidy and utterly souless. It will however be full to the brim with harsh lines and angles. Hard surfaces will be underfoot and brutal architecture will bombard your eyes until you submit fully to the concrete mandmade world. This is the "Black Rock" end of Brighton Marina which was designed and built in the 1970's. It's a full on brutal assault to your senses and is devoid of anything aesthetically pleasing. This section reminds me of the film set in the original "Planet of the Apes" (1968).



"Dark Sunset" :- The storm clouds had other ideas when I dropped down to the beach at Ovingdean Gap to grab a few shots of the sunset. They smothered it completely, stifling the light, the rays and the sun itself. I stood there muttering to myself for a while and then noticed a slight break in the clouds that allowed a small amount of light to hit the water. Seizing the moment, I quickly pointed the camera in the general direction and caught it before it got swallowed up once more. I have to admit I was actually very pleased with the outcome once i'd processed it. There's a certain unexpected serenity that sits within the turmoil. I also love the bluey greys.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill