Sunday, 23 November 2014

Watching it All, Chapel of the Holy Cross and Three Doors

"Watching it All" :- It was approaching 8pm and I found myself on Hove beach watching an early September sunset. That hadn't been my plan. I'd walked into Brighton from Ovingdean and for some reason carried on going for a while. As I walked along the promenade and got nearer to Hove I could see the light changing in the evening sky and realised that mother nature was about to put on a good show. As luck would have it the tide was out too and it had exposed a lot of glimmering wet sand which was catching the light. I made my way down to the beach and squelched my way along the sand, grabbing the odd image as I went. This was one of the last shots I took before turning around and walking back into Brighton to partake in a few drinks in my favourite pub.



"Chapel of the Holy Cross" :- The lighting makes this shot. This little area is known as the "Chapel of the Holy Cross" and it's tucked off to the right hand side within the mighty and very impressive Buckfast Abbey which is an active Benedictine monastery at Buckfast, near Buckfastleigh in Devon, England. The first monastery at Buckfast was founded in 1018 but that was flattened and floored in 1539 thanks to Henry VIII and his Dissolution of the Monasteries act. The grand (and very new looking) church and abbey that you see at Buckfast now started construction in 1907 but wasn't consecrated until 1932 and was finally completed in 1938. Fortunately for me they didn't mind me wandering about with my tripod and they were quite happy to leave me to my own devices which suited me down to the ground! I tried to keep out of everyone's way as best as I could and remained discreet throughout which allowed me to sneak around gathering shots for as long as I wanted! Outside it was raining hard so I was more than pleased to be in the warm glow of the candle light and remain dry.



"Three Doors" :- This a section of the beach chalets that are at Ovingdean Gap, a few miles East of Brighton on the south coast of England. The chalets are owned by the local council and are let out to people via a tenancy agreement. Ovingdean Gap itself is primarily 1930's built. The huge steps that lead up and down from the cliff top and the undecliff walk itself were built between 1930 and 1933 and I'm guessing that these chalets date from somewhere around the same time. The wave like styling of the undulating roof certainly looks more 30's than 40's and anything later than that would have simply had a flat roof put on it to keep the construction costs down. The metal doors are obviously a more recent (and ugly) addition and make them look more like nuclear bunkers than beach huts. They are not that big at all but I have seen a few with their doors open and it's surprising just how much you can fit in one. I'm not sure what the going rate for them is now but an article I found online from 2011 stated that a non-Brighton and Hove resident could pay rent of more than £621 a year for a Beach Chalet in Ovngdean but that a resident would pay £517. I am sure those prices fluctuate and have probably risen since then but that would work out somewhere around £10 a week if you were a local.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill