Thursday, 25 December 2014

1140, West Wharf Steps and Canopy

"1140" :- I remember being very pleased with myself when I chose to title this image "1140". There was a wonderful warm smug feeling that enveloped me. Now I've come to post it and release it into the wild I cannot for the life of me remember why on earth I did call is "1140" so I can now feel donkey ears growing out of my head! Anyway, that's what it's called so that it is! This was taken a week or so ago on the 13th December 2014 between the coastal villages of Rottingdean and Ovingdean to the East of Brighton.



"West Wharf Steps" :- This flight of steps looks relatively modern but they do conjure up images of times gone by. They connect the lower West Wharf with the higher and rising Polkirt Hill at the back in Mevagissey, which is a village and a fishing port in Cornwall, England. The village has a rich and old history attached to it and many of the stories involve tales of smugglers and excise men giving chase. The main source of income for the village now is tourism.



"Canopy" :- As you disembark the train and walk along the platform you can't help but be amazed by the huge, curved glass canopy that's high above your head. A mass of iron columns and struts keeping averyting in place since the mid 1800's. It's bright inside because of the amount of daylight streaming through the opaque glass panels. But then you emerge into the sunlight and lookup as your eyes adjust and this is the view that you'll see. The old Victorian ornate canopy of the grade II listed Brighton Station.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill