Friday, 5 December 2014

Crepes & Hot Dogs, Church in the Woods and Wet Feet

"Crepes & Hot Dogs" :- Ah yes, the culinary delights of the holidaymaker and seaside goer and the staple diet of the day tripper. A haven of fast food, grease and sugar. Whenever I wander through Brighton with my camera I pass many of these establishments and usually there's a small crowd of people standing just a few feet away filling their faces. I avoid this sort of (junk) food like the plague and it's extremely rare to spot me walking into a McDonald's, Burger King or Subway for a bite to eat. Fish and chip stalls and hot dog stands do nothing for me either, although the smell of fried onions is sometimes hard to resist. On this particular occasion I got lucky and caught things during a very unusual quiet moment so managed to get a shot of these food kiosks outside Brighton Pier without throngs of people getting in the way.



"Church in the Woods" :- Not to far from Petworth in West Sussex there's an old abandoned settlement called Bedham. Between 1917 and 1921 Bedham was home to the composer Sir Edward Elgar and it was here that he composed the Violin Sonata in E minor, Op. 82, the String Quartet in E minor, Op. 83, the Quintet in A minor for Piano and String Quartet, Op. 84, and the Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85. Bedham was also home to the English novelist, poet, critic and editor Ford Madox Ford. Nowadays Bedham is famous for its old abandoned and ruined Victorian chapel. It was built in 1880 by William Townley Mitford and was dedicated to Saint Michael and All Angels. During the week it was usd as a school (the single room was divided by a curtain for infants and senior classes) and then on Sundays the chairs were turned to face the east for the Church services. Apparently at one point the School was said to have had 60 pupils and 3 teachers but it had fallen into neglect by the end of WWI and it eventually closed as a School in 1925. However, its use continued as a church right up to 1959 where it's recorded that a wedding took place. Even though I knew (roughly) where it was it was still very hard to find and I was all about to give up when I stumbled upon it. The church and surrounding land are part of a large nature reserve which is open to the public.



"Wet Feet" :- A cold rough sea with thunderous angry waves. A dark band of cloud was rapidly eating up the light as the storm approached. The wind was picking up and getting stronger by the minute. It was bracing. White horses were charging in at an alarming rate from the gun metal grey horizon and for a moment I lost myself in it all. It suddenly felt primordial and I had a feeling that I was intruding ... and it was at that point that the wave came in and caught me. Not a lot but enough to snap me out of it, wake me up and tell me it was time to go home and change my socks. The shot was taken at Ovingdean Gap on the south coast of England.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill