Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Old Toll, Center of Balance and 14th Century Window

"Old Toll" :- I was precariously balanced on a couple of house bricks on the edge of the mud for this shot. It looks as though you could simply walk up to the bridge and river across that flat brown plain but you'd sink up to your knees in no time. This image shows the old wooden toll bridge that crosses the river Adur in Shoreham, Sussex. It's actually the last of its kind in Sussex and one of the last of its kind anywhere in the world. It was built between 1781and 1782, it tok ten months to build and it first opened to public traffic in March 1782. For many years it carried the coastal trunk road (the A27) over the river until the Shoreham flyover was built a quarter of a mile to the north in 1970 which was when the toll bridge was closed to traffic on on 7th December. The bridge is now classified as a Grade II* listed building and is still open to those on foot, bicycle and horseback.



"Center of Balance" :- Not the sort of shot I usually go for or take but the opportunity presented itself to me and t would have been a crime to ignore it. Shot back in July 2013 on Eastbourne Pier, way before the fire and it was closed to the public. I'd beed wandering around in the afternoon sun and found myself exploring the Victorian pier (Opened June 13, 1870) loking for shots and things to point the camra at. As I turned around this gull was right by my side and seemed oblivious to my movements and not wary of me at all. Gently grabbing the camera I moved slightly forward and lent in for the shot. Much to my surprise it didn't take flight at all but merely continued to stand on one leg and ignore me. I always forget just how big gulls are. They are huge birds when you are close to them.



"14th Century Window" :- This is the great south transept window in the south wall of Chichester Cathedral in the City of Chichester, West Sussex. t's hard to believe that this window was installed in the 14th Century and has been sacting its colourful light ever since. It's recorded that Bishop John Langton (1305–1337) completely rebuilt the south wall of the south transept in 1315 and that he created the large seven light window at the same time. It is immense and the glow that it emits helps illuminate sections of the darkened walls. Fortunately for me the volunteers and guides at the Cathedral were more than happy for me to walk around and use the tripod (unlike those at Bath Abbey) so I was able to discreetly set up and get the shot using the light available.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill