Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Sea Som, High and Dry and Wooden Balcony

"Sea Som" :- This was shot just a few days ago on the 6th December 2014. I am lucky enough to be able to look out the window and work out if it's worth hitting the beach or not for the sunset as the sea is only a 5 minute drive (or 25 walk) from my front door. So this was taken on the 1930's built undercliff walk that stretches between Brighton and Saltdean on the south coast of England. At the time I was between the ancient villages of Ovingdean and Rottingdean, the tide was out and the sky was turning a bright orange.



"High and Dry" :- A lonely boat on an empty stretch of beach. A cold blast of sunlight blasts in from the West as the sun frantically tries to hold onto the remains of the day. Darker clouds swan in from the East and help create a brooding but stark background. Shot on Kemptown beach just East of Brighton's famous Victorian pier.



"Wooden Balcony" :- St Joseph's Church is a Roman Catholic church at the bottom of the wonderfully named Elm Grove in the city of Brighton on the south coast of England. It's a place i'd passed many times over the years but I had never set foot inside. I was heading into town on foot via a different route and on this particular day I noticed that the church had its doors open as I passed so I decided to be nosey and have a look around. The thing that gets me about most churches is that they appear to be like the TARDIS in that they all feel bigger once you get on the inside. From the outside the church doesn't look that big but on entering I was surprised at just how large and spacious it actually felt. The wooden balcony is just over the main entrance / exit. The church was completed in 1906 and is a grade II* listed building.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill