Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Daily Doodle : Cyberman

When I was a child I loved watching 'Doctor Who' although half the time I would be behind the sofa due to fear but i still found it compelling to watch. These were the days of the Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker 'Doctors', the sonic screw driver was forever in use and the monsters / aliens always looked like an actor in a badly fitting costume or suit ... which they were. Technology was still way of where it is now so CGI wasn't even on the horizon and special effect to be honest weren't that special. So the cyberman of the 70's and 80's that I grew up with was pretty much a man (or woman) in a silver wetsuit / jumpsuit / shellsuit with a plastic helmet. I then lost touch with "The Doctor" for quite a while as various other regenerations didn't do a thing for me whatsoever and the scripts appeared to rapidly plummet down hill too. So I was very taken aback when I finally caught up with the timelord and found that the Cyberman had drastically changed in appearence. The baggy silver suit was gone and in its place was a slick, hard silver body shell that looked like it could well be anti radar. The angles and styling were akin to the sort of things you see on stealth plane. I was impressed ... caught out and thrown ... but impressed. So today's sketch by me is of a "new look" Cyberman...