Sunday, 11 January 2015

Daily Doodle : Morlock

Well I didn't stop to think about today's sketch at all. I simply jumped in (using an image off the internet as reference) and started throwing lines and colour in. The idea was to sort of follow my nose and hands and see where I ended up without taking my time and being careful about it all. I was trying to capture the sort of feel of these creatures that used to put the fear of god into me as a child. I love "The Time Machine" (1960). It was superbly directed by George Pal and Rod Taylor (who sadly passed away a few days ago) put in brilliant performance as the time travelling hero. The 2002 remake was terrible and held none of the tension or atmosphere of the original at all. H. G. Wells wrote "The Time Machine" in 1895. I read it a few years ago and was fascinated to see what his original vision and idea was like. In the book the Morlocks reside underground in the English countryside of AD 802,701. Wells describes them as as "ape-like" creatures with little or no clothing, large eyes and grey fur covering their bodies. They are albino and very sensitive to light. Anyway, here's my quickly knocked out sketch of a Morlock...