Friday, 2 January 2015

Rhythm of Life, Accession and Chimera

"Rhythm of Life" :- This is an old shot that's been patiently waiting on file. It was taken n 22nd November 2012 on a very cold, wet and stormy beach at Ovingdean Gap, just a few miles East of the City of Brighton on the south coast of England. I never tire of this place, it's just a stone's throw from where I live but away from the noise, tourists and traffic. On this particular day the stormy weather had sucked the colour out of everything.



"Accession" :- Mother nature proving once again that it doesn't matter how big or clever we think we are she will always rise above us all and reign supreme. I stood on the exposed rocks at Ovingdean Gap and watched as the darkness enveloped the distant city of Brighton. It reminded me of the old black and white silent films that would finish with a vignette slowly closing in on the picture until all you had left was completely dark screen. The mood was incredible and captiviating. It was quiet and getting colder as well as darker. It was time I got off the treacherous, slippery chalkbed and made my way back home.



"Chimera" :- On the 20th December 2014 I took the gamble and headed of towards the beach at Ovingdean Gap in the hope that there was going to be a sunset. I'd popped down a couple of time before that week only to be dissapointed each time as the sun merely dropped down and vanished without putting on a show. As I got to the beach I realised it was low tide and carefully picked my way out over the rocks and explored a little. The sun didn't look like it was going to do much but there was quite a bit if low cloud hanging around so I decided to hang around myself in the hope that the two would combine and perform for the camera. Slowly the sun dipped and the colours of the evening sky started to turn orange quicker than I expected. The following display caught mne out completely but I was in the right place at the right time to take many shots of it. When I retunred home everyone online in the Brighton area was shouting about how great the sunset had been, I was overjoyed that I'd been on the beach for it all. This shot was taken around 4:20 pm.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill