Thursday, 26 February 2015

Sidesmen, Wrong Setting and King's Cliff Steps

Sidesmen :- As far as I know these seats date back quite a long way. They are in the gargantuan Church of St Bartholomew's in Brighton. The main seat in the image has "Sidesmen" written on the top. A sidesman (or usher) greets members of the congregation and oversees seating arrangements in the church as well as taking the collection. The official opening of St Bartholomew's was on 18th September 1874. If you take cathedrals out of the equasion and look only at parish churches then the nave of St Bartholomew's is the largest in Britain.



Wrong Setting :- Just to prove I don't always get it right here's an image that didn't go to plan. To be honest I very nearly binned it but something in me told me to process it anyway and see what it looked like after so I did and to be honest I rather liked the overall effect so I titled it "Wrong Setting" and filed it. It was shot during a spectacular sunset as seen from the beach at Ovingdean Gap. Staring towards the setting sun must have caused my failing eyesight more trouble than I though as I remember at the time thinking I'd set up the camera right for the shot. I hadn't. It's seriously out of focus. I'd like to say it was done on purpose to make an "arty" shot but it wasn't anything of the sort. It was me getting things wrong. I do like the image though and the effect that the out of focus slight blur gives it. It exactly how I see things if I take my glasses off!



King's Cliff Steps :- This huge flight of steps are calf muscle killers. By the time you reach the promenade at the top ton Marine Parade the back of your legs are burning and you are trying to catch your breath ... well I am anyway! These are the King's Cliff Steps located in Kemptown at the Eastern end of Brighton's long promenade. This area has been known as as 'King's Cliff' since 1908 due to Edward VII's connections with Kemp Town. Princess Louise (the daughter of Edward VII) and her husband the Duke of Fife used to live at number one Lewes Crescent which is East of these steps. In 1908 George VIIstayed with his daughter and her husband at "Fife House" whilst he was recovering from illness. Nowadays it's better known as East Cliff and is (approx) 24 meters or 80 feet at it's highest point.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill