Saturday, 16 May 2015

Avebury Sundown, Country Seat and Ewart Street

Avebury Sundown :- The one good thing about arriving late in Devizes (in Wiltshire) and checking into the local Travelodge for the night was knowing that I was only a 10 to 15 minute drive from Avebury and that by this time of the day all the tourists would have long gone. I grabbed a quick bite to eat, jumped back into the car and made my way towards the biggest standing stone circle in Europe and quite possibly the world. When I got there I managed to park in the pub car park (result) and found much to my delight that my suspicions were correct and that I pretty much had most of this mystical and incredible place to my self. The coach parties had gone, the swarms of foreign students all with their rucksacks had left and all that was before me was rolling land and huge rocks. I'd also inadvertently timed it so that I was there for sunset. As the sun diped and the long shadows started to run and spill their way across this ancient land some stones started to glow as others began to chill. Avebury is a Neolithic henge monument in Wiltshire, southwest England and is looked after by English Heritage.



Country Seat :- What a wonderful place to sit! This seat is situated within Painshill Park in Cobham, Surrey. The view that it commands looks out way beyond the park instead of into it. It's hard to believe that somewhere within that view there's the nightmare motorway known as the M25. It's well hidden but is only a few mnuts drive from the park's entrance. The park was created between 1738 and 1773 by the Hon. Charles Hamilton. He obviously had a creative and artistic eye as many of the scenes he set within the park look as if they could be framed and hung on any wall. Painshill Park is Grade I listed and recognised as England's most elegant 18th Century landscae garden.



Ewart Street :- I grew up in and around this area. I lived a few roads further up . Used to peddle my old 1970's Chopper bike like crazy around these streets. The road I lived on was shorter, not as wide and straight. It always fascinated me as a child how the rods seemed to get longer and wider the further you ventured down the hill and that the really long ones dipped in the middle as if they were bending undfer their own weight. Not much to look at now but as a child they were full of adventure. This is the "Hanover" area of Brighton on the south coast of England.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill