Saturday, 2 May 2015

Castle St, Dartmoor National Park and Coasting Home

Castle St :- A late evening shot of Castle Street in the Cornish village of Looe. This ancient coastal town and fishing port has it's trading history traced right back to pre-medieval times. The town is divided in half (East and West Looe) by the River Looe which runs throught the middle before spilling out into the English Channel. I'd stopped for a pint or two this evening in the Salutation Inn on Fore Street and was looking around from where I was seated at a table when I looked through the window and spotted this street lit up opposite the pub. I don't much about the history of Looe's streets at all but they are narrow and winding and not at all easy to navigate if you happen to be in a car. The do evoke the smugglers of old and the excisemen who in turn tried to cath them. I bet these streets have a few tales to tell.



Dartmoor National Park :- The shot was taken just by Bonehill Rocks and overlooks the village of Widecombe-in-the-Moor. Dartmoor National Park is massive, it covers 954 square kilometres and is full of tors, marshes, twisted trees, standing stones, sheep, horses and the odd backpacker! The place is also full of myths, legends and ghost stories. Personally I think it's one of the most wonderful places to explore in England but it can be bit bleak at times so you do have to be well pepared. Widecombe-in-the-Moor is well known for Widecombe Fair which featured in an old folksong where they sing about "Old Uncle Tom Cobley and All". Widecombe is also said to be haunted.



Coasting Home :- The old iron supports of the ruined West Pier on Brighton seafront stand silhouetted against the evening sunset. They've been photographed many times before by many people and they have become one of my many muses here in the seaside City. I have known the pier all my life, I walked on its boards when I was a child and watched it burn and fall into the sea when I was an adult. She's just as iconic now as she was then and still magaes to draw a crowd from time to time even though all they can do is stand by the water line and gaze across the waves to stare at her twisted bu elegant frame.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill