Wednesday, 20 May 2015

Heatless, Ninety Bee and Distant Sisters

Heatless :- Back in August 2013 I got a lunchtime message telling me to grab my camera and get myself down to Coombe Road as soon as possible. St Alban's Church had stood in Coombe Road since it was built between 1910 and 1914 and it was now due to be demolished since it had been declared redundant and had ceased being a church since 2006. I was told to grab the camera as a those that had arrived there earlier had got talking to the builders / demolition men and had got permission to enter the Church itself. As I arrived they were waiting for me outside and we entered the abandoned building, now stripped of its fittings, pews and paraphernalia and explored it's rooms. It was quite an odd feeling to think of all those who'd worshipped there and got married within those walls. Now I found myself to be one of the last ever people to stand inside what was once sacred. The building has long gone now as it was flattened several days after our visit but I am pleased I got to take one last look and record what I saw.



Ninety Bee :- I found myself pacing up and down this tow path for a minute or so as I looked up at this footbridge trying to find what I thought was the perfect angle to photograph it from. In the end I settled on this viewpoint as the bridge in question leads in nicely from the top left of the image and is complimented rather well by the light reflecting in the canal to the bottom right. The footbridge is not too far from Milton Keynes Marina and is numbered 90B. It allows access from the west bank of the Grand Union Canal to the East bank (where I was standing) in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire. It's not the sort of thing that many (if any) would photograph but I thought it was visually striking so found myself getting a few funny looks from passers by out walking their dogs or jogging as they tried to work out what on earth had caught my interest and eye.



Distant Sisters :- This is the spectacular view that awaits you as you walk over the top of Seaford Head and down towards Hope Gap and Cuckmere Haven on the South coast of England. This route is all part of the magnificent South Downs Way, a trail that runs for 160 km (100 miles) from Winchester in Hampshire all the way to Eastbourne in East Sussex. The chalk cliffs that you see are collectivley known as "The Seven Sisters" but the rises and dips have individual names which are (from left to right or West to East) :- Haven Brow, Short Bottom, Short Brow, Limekiln Bottom, Rough Brow, Rough Bottom, Brass Point, Gap Bottom, Flagstaff Point, Flagstaff Bottom, Flat Hill, Flathill Bottom, Baily's Hill and Michel Dean. There's also the addition of Went Hill Brow which is a 'newer' eighth hill currently being created by the constant erosion of the sea.




All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill