Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Walker’s Horse Repository, Structure and Yew & Seat

Walker’s Horse Repository :- I have very clear childhood memories of walking around the famous indoor 'Victorian Street' that's part of Castle Museum York. This year I finally found myself wandering around it once again and it's pretty much how I remembered it but with a few modern alterations and embellishments that have made it a lot better than it used to be. The 'street' is known as 'Kirkgate' and it was originally built in 1938. It has a real cobbled street, schoolroom and police cell. The shops and businesses lining the streets were Victorian stores in York so you get a real sense of the city's past as you look around as the artefacts you see are original along with most of the shop fronts. What I didn't realise as I child is that the Hansom cab (in the middle of the street ) and other vehicles on display are in fact the real thing too and are therefore very old and rare. Walker’s horse and carriage repository in York dates from around 1850. It was the Victorian equivalent of a multi-storey parking place for horses with ground floor parking for carriages. You could also rent a horse or a carriage from the business. The horse drawn carriage in this image dates from the 1700's and was a fully functioning stagecoach that travelled betwen towns. The guide gave me all the information that I needed about it but I find I can't remember any of it at all. If I find out I'll edit the post and fill in the blanks.



Structure :- An attempt to keep it simple. The old breakwater looks like it dates from somewhere around the 30's or 40's due to its prefab concrete with pebble dashed finish. It certainly hasn't help up to the tests of time like the Victorian breakwater's along the coast have. A rediculously calm sea helps add to the surreal and still nature of the overall image.



Yew & Seat :- This is the graveyard of St Peter's Church in Chailey which is a village and civil parish in the Lewes District of East Sussex, England. The church itself was built in 1256 so it's 13th Century. The large and ancient Yew tree is reputed to be 1500 years old but it's more likely to be (roughly) the same age as the Church itself. A large wooden seat surrounds two thirds of the tree's circumference.


All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill