Thursday, 24 September 2015

Fun All Year, Medieval Statues and Lighting Up Time

Fun All Year :- A chance shot taken a couple of weeks ago on the 10th September 2015. I'd been right to the end of Brighton's famous pier and was on my way back when i spotted the deckchairs and the shadows they were casting. I tucked myself up against the white wall of the building that now houses the noisy and cacophonous arcade near the front and tried my best not to be noticed as I set up for the shot. Various people passed by in their throngs and threw odd glances and looks my way but eventually i found a gap in the crowd that gave me enough time to grab the shot. As soon as it was in the camera I moved on and made my exit out and onto the main promenade and seafront. The people in the deckchairs (whoever they were) didn't even know I'd been there. Stealth like.



Medieval Statues :- I love these four figures. They are in the basement of the Yorkshire Museum in the City of York and they are ancient. The basement of the museum houses the Medieval York: Capital of the North displays and collections. Donw there you'll discover real Viking hoards, swords, armour, treasure and the incredible Coppergate Helmet (also known as York Helmet) which is an 8th Century Anglo-Saxon helmet which was actually found in York. These four life sized statues of Christian saints used to greet visitors as they entered St. Mary's Abbey which once stood on the site of the Yorkshire Museum itself. It's hard to believe but at some point after the Abbey was demolished they were actually used as as foundation supports.



Lighting Up Time :- These stone terraces were built on Rottingdean seafront on the South coast of England sometime during the 1950's. I have strong memories of clambering over them as a child when i'd be taken out for a day trip to Village of Rottingdean just afew miles to the East of Brighton. In the background you can see the lights of the apartments within the 1930's built 'Art Deco' style block of St Margarets Court.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill