Tuesday, 15 September 2015

Shaded Path, On The Up and White Out

Shaded Path :- Hard to believe this shot and image was taken smack in the middle of Brighton and Hove. It's not even a large public park. Due to the way that certain areas of these seaside towns were laid out large grassy areas and gardens were included. This shot was taken near the bootom of Palmeira Gardens in Palmeira Square, Hove. The square was built from 1855 to 1870 and joins onto Adelaide Crescent which connects to the seafront. Before Palmeira Square was built this was the site of the Anthaeum which was quoted as being "the world's largest conservatory". Unfortunately for its creators the Anthaeum collapsed and was completely destroyed on the day it was due to open to the public in 1833. Its wreckage occupied the site up until the building of the square began.



On The Up :- A view of Brighton's changing coastline as seen from the end of its famous Pier. The newly built (but not yet finished) i360 now dominates the skyline. It's not only the tallest structure now in brighton but has the honour of also officially being the tallest structure now in Sussex. Just a few weeks ago on Sunday 23rd August (2015) the i360 tower reached it's full height of 162m or 531 ft. There's still alot of building work to be done and the 'pod' that will carry people up and down the shaft is still currently being manufactured and put together somewhere in France.



White Out :- Many drive down or walk through this tunnel without thinking much about it at all. It's an access route and nothing more but to me it's another of Brighton's delves into the past. When Brighton Station was originally built in 1840 access to the station was up and around to the grand Italianate frontage designed by David Mocatta. This was because the engineer John Rennie built the station on a man-made plateau which was created by excavating part of the hillside at the top of Trafalgar Street which was where (at the time) the road from London met Brighton. In 1845 Queen's Road was built and at the same time the railway company built the iron bridge over Trafalgar Street to connect with the newly built road providing direct access to the front of the station.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill