Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Time Waits For Nobody, Planet Life and The High Altar

Time Waits For Nobody :- Now that it's getting colder and is dark by 5 pm I thought i'd bring you a little sunshine from a few years ago. The shot was taken on 24th July 2012 during a heatwave that was smothering the South of England. I'd driven out to Shoreham and been for a walk with the camera for a while. On the way back I decided to stop by the old Shoreham lighthouse (also known as Kingston Buci) built in 1842. Just to the side of the lighthouse there's a small section of beach that overlooks the harbour. I was fascinated by all the old wooden breakwaters that were dotted about.



Planet Life :- I'm lucky living on a coastline. It's amazing to be on the edge of land on this large but insgnificant planet of ours. Approximately 71% of the Earth's surface is covered with water so we exist as the human race on just 29% of land and the Earth's oceans hold about 96.5 % of all the water on the planet. Think about that. Just 29% of the planet is land. That's just over a quarter. We only live on a quarter of the planet and we are hell bent on destroying the bits we live on as well as polluting the other three quarters as we pour our waste into the seas. For an intelligent race I don't think that's very intelligent.



The High Altar :- I wasn't allowed to use my tripod inside Bath Abbey. I was told it was a danger to health and safety so I promised them it would stay folded up and over my shoulder (which it did) throughout my visit. So I was baffled to then discover others looking around the magnificent Abbey's interior pushing prams and some walking around the place with walking sticks or frames out in front of them. Double standards. Anyway, somehow or other I kept finding places to balance my camera on in order to get the shots that I was hoping to using natural light. Considering I was hampered throughout this image has come out very well. The Grade I listed Abbey was originally founded in the 7th Century and then was altered in the 10th, 12th and 16th Centuries.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill