Friday, 30 October 2015

Worthing Beam, Ever Watchful and Lilac Cloud Line

Worthing Beam :- Another image that looks as if I was seriously risking things. I can assure you that I was not and that I was not only no where near the edge but that I was also on the correct and far afer side of the fencing. My camera however was not. I carefully manipulated the trpiod and camera through the wire fence and aimed it (roughly) towards the horizon to the West. I had to guess thngs as I couldn't see the back of the camera of get anywhere near the view finder and my hand was through the loop hanging of the camera just to make sure it didn't go over the edge. I can't have been there for more than a couple of minutes. As soon as the shot was taken I brought the camera and tripod back through the fence and made my way back down the cliffs. The large beam of light had broken through the storm clouds and was hitting the town of Worthing to the West of Brighton on the South coast of England. The cliffs that I took the shot from are the cliffs at Saltdean which is a few miles to the East of Brighton. There was a distance of 15 miles or 24 kilometres from the lightbeam to where I was standing.



Ever Watchful :- Early evening shot of the famous Beacon Mill situated high up on Beacon Hill Nature Reserve in Rottingdean , Brighton. The mill was caught in that hour of twilight asa day turns into night. There was enough light still left to catch the odd bit of grass in the foreground but not enough to light the mill. It all fell together rather nicely. When you're up on the ancient hill by yourself there's an eerie silence and stillness that's hard to put your finger on. You do feel like you're standing on a very old and ancient place ... which of course you are! Beacon Mill has stood at this spot since it was built in 1802.



Lilac Cloud Line :- Such a wonderful view and it's just a five minute walk from my front door. Beyond that hill sits the seaside resort of Brighton, a sprawling City full of magnificent architecture and history. But it's well hidden from here. You might as well be in the middle of nowhere. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 (http://opendomesday.org/place/TQ3503/ovingdean/) and has managed to pretty much avoid being built up into something else. We're still surrounded by green fields and a lot of wildlife (of the animal variety and not the sort the Brighton's used to seeing).



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill