Tuesday, 8 December 2015

Curtain Wall, The Gap and Backed by Greenery

Curtain Wall :- If only we could see into the past. I don't mean with film or photos or with written down history ... I mean actually see and visualize it. A bit like having a Star Trek "holodeck" but instead of being in a room you could set it up somewhere (indoors or out) to show you what or who was once there and how things actually looked and functioned. I read "Timeline" by Michael Crichton once and that was aong the same sort of line of thought that I had when I was standing in the ruins of Bramber Castle (seen in this image) and taking various photographs. It's hard to imagine just how it looked. What scale was it on? How high did it rise? How many rooms did it have? Where was this and where was that? Where would I be standing now if I could travel back to 1070 just four four years after the Norman Invasion and the famous Battle of Hastings? How many lived here? We do know who lived here though. That was William De Braose, 1st feudal baron. We also know that the castle was at one point 'confiscated' by the tyrannical King John who famously attempted a rebellion against King Richard Ist's royal administrators whilst his brother (also known as Richard the Lionheart) was participating in the Third Crusade. Sadly very little is known about the history of Bramber Castle and all we have now are a few sections of crumbling wall and a large, tall section (one wall) of gatehouse. It's hard to look at a lawn and see a castle full of people.



The Gap :- Looking like the entrance to some Citadel or fortress this is the back and sea defences at Ovingdean Gap just a few miles to the East of Brighton on the South coast of England. They were built between 1930 and 1933 to help provide work during the depression and to vitaly protect the fragile and crumbling chalk cliffs.



Backed by Greenery :- There was a time when I would see things ike this on a daily basis. For a while I found myself living in the stunning City of Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand. It was full of pleasurable sights, sounds and tastes and also very, very full of Temples. The City was founded in 1296 and various Kings (and Queens) made it their own over time by building additions to the City over the last 700 years. This means that Chiang Mai now has over 200 Temples to explore. Many are in excellent condition and a handful are very well know and famous. They are places where you can easily step away from the mayhem and find peace and quiet. You feel instantly relaxed as soon as you enter the grounds and even more so if you slip your footwear off and enter the temples themselves where your feet will benefit from the cool tiles or wodden floors. Now I find myself back in England and have been for longer than I wished for. I greatly miss Thailand and all that it had to offer and share. It still has a huge place in my heart and will forever be my second home ... physically and spiritually.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill